It’s tricky finding a healthy, satisfying snack when you’re running around all day like a maniac. But feeling gross and crashing from all the fake crap you’re chowing on isn’t such a great plan either.
So what’s a busy girl to do when hunger comes a calling?
Snack whores, rejoice!
You can officially ditch those cringe worthy munchies you’ve been tossing into your purse. Ten free minutes is all it takes to make homemade energy balls that will keep you fueled for hours.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. Get the ball rolling: Start by finding a recipe. Try mine (below) or Google one. Look for a recipe that includes:
- Protein powerhouses like nut butter, nuts or even protein powder
- Naturally sweet dates, honey or molasses
- Fiber rich additions like chia seeds, flax seeds or rolled oats
- A little decadence in the form of chocolate chips or cacao nibs
2. Go balls out: Make a big batch so you’ll be set for a while. Perfect for on-the-go munching, you can grab one as you’re flying out the door or pop one in your mouth for the perfect post-workout pick-me-up. Store them in a sealed container in your fridge for a few days or freeze them for longer. No thawing required.
3. Don’t be a slime ball: The ideal texture should allow you to roll a small amount of your mixture, using your palms, into bite-size balls. If your recipe turns out crumbly, feel free to add a bit more of your wettest ingredient, like the dates or nut butter. But don’t go overboard. Once your mixture gets too moist it can be a bitch to fix.
4. The ball’s in your courtyard: So why not pretend you live in a castle. Fancy up your energy balls by adding some extra panache. Roll them in some dried coconut flakes or cocoa powder for a classy last minute twist.
5. Have a ball with your kids: Kids love them, too. Instead of giving them those processed store bought bars, with the unpronounceable ingredients and funky preservatives, give them an energy ball with lunch or as a quick pre-activity boost.
If balls aren’t your thing, don’t let that stop you from getting in on this tasty goodness. Turn these into bars instead. Regardless of the form you try, you’ll be feeling pumped, full of life and totally energized.
EASY-ASS EVERYDAY ENERGY BALLS
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup pitted dates (about 12)
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Throw that shit in a food processor and pulse until it looks well mixed. (If you don’t have a food processor, or if you’re too lazy to clean it, omit the dates and instead add an additional 1/4 cup of honey or agave. Stir all the ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.)
- Roll into balls about 1” in diameter.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Taste one – what the hell are you waiting for?
- Store whatever you don’t scarf down in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week, or freeze for longer.